“TALK TO ME, LIKE LOVER’S DO…”
Teatum Jones is a fashion label driven by a love of human stories… This is Scotland’s Human Story; This is Teatum Jones’ open letter to Scotland; “We love you because you top the league ahead of the rest of the UK and Europe, in the legal protection you offer lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people.1 We love you because you gave us the grit and reality of Sgaire, Tina, Lewis, Connor, Misha, Declan, Hayden and Elina (names of people in our film), who generously shared with us their personal stories and experiences. A group of inspiring young artists, designers, poets and musicians who reminded us of the collective prize we all win from being fearless, open and accepting of difference. And to be honest, who really gives a f*** anyway’.” Teatum Jones have created a film… to be showcased throughout the show. The aim of creating this film is to give a creative, positive and aspirational voice to the subject of human diversity, with Scotland being the leading example, and to demonstrate that Teatum Jones is a fashion label inspired by poignant human stories.
Our Patterns are… inspired by the likes of Scotland’s Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s romantic water colour paintings at the beginning of the 20th Century – botanic flowers and landscapes. We have Juxtaposed this romance with the sweaty sexual energy of Glaswegian house ravers from the other end of the 20th Century, studying the excessive visual geometry created by lazer lights in house clubs. Our Colour palette… for the first time is shared between our womens collection and our debut mens collection, split into three colour groups; the first a rich, deep and intense.
Palette of rich teal navy, fresh cornflower blue and hot red magenta. The second a romantic flamingo pink clashing with fleshy nudes, framed by snooker table greens and emerald forest green. We end on the powerfully free, open and stark primary colours of black, optic white, bright red, shocking yellow and cobalt blue. This season we have collaborated… with a range of partners who are best in their
fields of design and production including. Wearable art canvasses; coats, bombers, skirts and leather rucksacks hand painted by contemporary artist Tom Leamon. Shoes designed with Attribute London, debuting Teatum Jones’ first men’s shoes. Bags have been designed in collaboration with British leather accessories brand Loxley England, created in exclusive SS17 colours and bespoke hand painted white. Our belts designed
in collaboration with Una Burke debuting both Una’s and Teatum Jones’ first menswear accessories and our jewellery is designed in collaboration with contemporary artist Nina De Marco.
Fabric Developments and Details;
Key to the Teatum Jones brand are the fabrics we develop each season in-house and with our international textile partners:
• Men’s and women’s outwear sees a collaboration with contemporary artist Tom Leamon in a series of hand painted primary coloured wearable canvases – tomleamon.com
• We’ve continued using merino wool yarn with our mill partners in France sexing it up with long column silhouettes and leather paneling.
• Men’s merino wool t-shirts with oversized patch pockets in bright primary colours and soft pastel hues.
• Menswear tailoring partners with British mills of royal patronage, dying merino tailoring wools to acid bright colours.
• Lingerie inspired silk satins are printed with romantic florals and paneled with delicate French lace in voluminous gaudet inserted dresses.
• Biker jackets are freshened up in primary coloured leathers with oversized quilted elbow and shoulder pads built for serious riders.
• British woven jacquards combine deep intense romantic palettes on the right side of sheen to sit comfortably between men’s and womenswear tailoring.
• Fresh summer cotton fil coupes in graphic wallpaper florals dance equally between men’s and women’s shirting.
• Lightweight statement summer macs are fully printed with oversized florals and Scottish landscapes.
PRESS RELEASE | SS17 Mens Collection
“TALK TO ME, LIKE LOVER’S DO…”
SS17 Debut Capsule Menswear Collection
For Spring Summer 2017 Teatum Jones introduce their debut menswear capsule collection. Not many people are aware of the fact that Rob and Catherine actually met designing menswear together. Masculinity has always been present within their womenswear collections, both in attitude but also in shape, particularly in their signature outerwear shapes.
Since winning the International Woolmark Prize at NYFW in February the business has changed over night, they duo have worked with a business strategist on preparing for the next stage of growth and considering menswear was always part of their ongoing conversation as designers, now seemed the perfect time to launch their debut capsule menswear collection.
“There is a no nonsense functionality to menswear that we find very sexy.” “We’ve found that designing menswear has felt like a natural extension of our womenswear collection with many of the colour and fabric stories crossing over in to both collections. The Teatum Jones man is not afraid of colour or texture” – says Rob and Catherine.
“The SS17 narrative seemed a particularly poignant and relevant human story to explore the diversity and layering of gender and gender stereotyping within fashion.”
You might also like to find out What to Wear to London Fashion Week.
QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Do you like Teatum Jones SS17 collection? Let me know in the comments down below.