If you are looking for a stylish yet elegant outwear, you should think about investing in a good trench coat. There are some basic pieces of clothing that should be present in everybody’s wardrobe. For example, a pair of jeans or a favourite pair of pumps. Similarly, a trench coat is the classic must-have in your closet. It’s the perfect outwear to roam around the city during the autumn time or the spring season.
Trust me, finding the perfect trench coat for your body shape, height and complexion are essential. And only after you found it, you should learn how to style a trench coat.
You might agree that choosing a right trench coat can be challenging. There are plenty of things to keep in mind such as styles, details, lengths and colours. But don’t worry, your complete guide on how to choose and wear a trench coat is below. Plus my best tips oh how to style it. Keep on reading!
Origins of the trench coat
Let’s start with a bit of history. The trench coat’s name recalls its utilitarian roots as a modern, highly functional, lightweight garment developed for British officers during World War I to help protect them from the elements on the front line. The trench coat was initially implied for military exercises to bring comfort to the troops. FYI: It began as the Tielocken. Patented by Burberry in 1912, it was an unbuttoned style made from gabardine and fastened with a belt.
Two brands hold claim to an invention of the trench coat:
- Aquascutum, whose trench coats went on to be adopted by Winston Churchill, Cary Grant, Lauren Bacall, Michael Caine and Peter Sellers for his role as Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther series.
- Burberry, whose celebrity coups range from putting Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn in their coats (for Casablanca and Breakfast at Tiffany’s respectively), and, decades later, tapping fashion royalty schoolboy Romeo Beckham for a campaign.
After the World War II, when ladies started using this type of coats, various fashion houses started creating new designs of trench coats with varying colours, styles and shades. These days, you can find a lot of variety of trenches due to which it is very easy to find the perfect coat that match with your body shape, height and complexion.
Why do you need a trench coat?
Previously, only the limited styles of trench coats were available. It’s not the case anymore. During the past decade, fashion designers have made the coat modern, classic and chic by adding various details in it.
In the spring season, you must be desperate in finding the absolute piece of clothing. Here comes the trench coat – a timeless fashion piece. It is an important part in your wardrobe and adds elegance to your style. Moreover, this piece of outwear is not limited to wearing at a particular occasion or time. It is versatile. You can wear it with a casual outfit or you can style it for an evening party. The choice is yours!
Remember, Trench Coat needs to complement your style, personality, hair colour and complexion!
When looking for the perfect colour of the trench coat, go for the one that suits your personality and style the best. It’s important to choose the colour that complements the other clothes in your wardrobe, too. This will help you to avoid getting stuck in the morning when you are creating the outfit. Nevertheless, there are some colours with which you cannot go wrong such as beige, navy, black, burgundy and khaki.
How to choose the Perfect Colour?
Consider your hair colour and complexion while selecting the trench coat.
- If you have dark hair and complexion, choose the deeper shades such as navy, burgundy or dark grey.
- For those who have a fair complexion and light hair, the pastel shades are the best option. Go for baby pink, sky blue and light yellow.
- There are some colours that are universal. These are khaki, sand and red.
- Wearing a grey or white trench coat will add glam to your outfit. You can wear it with a maxi shirt and high heal to look elegant. For adding further style, roll the sleeves of your trench coat for the cool vibe.
- Every colour looks different on different skin tones. There are some colours that lose its glory when combined with other colours. For instance, wearing black with brown is not a good option. Black is one of the classic colours and also looks very elegant. The combo of black and white is very popular and at the same time, it is the perfect combo. You can match the black coat with beige or grey skirt to give the fresh look.
- You can match the beige trench coat with a blue or brown skirt or pants. Do not match darker shades of the coat with gloomy shades; you should be tactful in matching the colours.
What is the right Length of the trench coat?
It might be tricky to choose the right length of the women’s trench coat. The wrong length can make you look fatter and shorter than you are. I strongly advise to considering your age, height and body shape, when choosing the length.
- A mid-hip trench coat will be a good choice for petite and/or younger women. It will emphasise the fresh and fragile personality.
- For short and curvy women, neither long nor short trench coats will look good. For them, the medium length trench coat is the best choice to avail. The good thing about these medium length coats is that they befit on almost any shape and body structure, but it is ideal for short heightened women.
- Petite women should avoid maxi coats. The maxi clothes tend to make people look shorter.
- A slightly-over-the-knee length is great for somebody, who has a little bit of an excess weight. This length will cover some problematic zones. Please, make sure you tight the belt on the waistline to look slimmer.
- A long/maxi trench coat will look great on somebody who is tall and slim. Long coats will give a royal and elegant look. If you have a slim body, you should wear a trench coat with wide lapels as it will hide your slim body.
But please remember, the only fashion rule you have to follow is this – wear what makes you feel comfortable!
Trench Coat Outfit Basic Rules
So far, you have got an idea of selecting the trench coat that goes well with your figure. It isn’t enough as you have to dig deep to make sure you look stylish in your trench coat. Want to look perfect and stylish? Keep some other basic tips in mind as well, so that you look fresh, classy and beautiful.
- If you are wearing a slim trench coat, it is recommended to wear it with a belt fastened and fully buttoned.
- If you are wearing a skirt with the trench coat, keep it in mind to keep the length of the skirt shorter than the coat.
- The denim trench coat will look dazzling and captivating when you wear it with a white dress.
- If you want to look stylish and trendy, wearing the trench coat with jeans, sneakers, sweater or T-shirt will look perfect. It is a good choice for everyday style.
- Looking for the clothing style with a long trench coat? Combine it with a pair of leggings and boots. Go for boots high-heeled shoes if you are going out. This will surely look extra chic and stylish.
- Trench coat in summer? Yes, you can wear a trench coat with denim shorts and camisole top.
- Want a more romantic look? go for a floral dress and a neck scarf.
Are you frustrated while searching the best shoe style with the trench coat?
- Wearing high heels with short trenches is recommended
- Avoid wearing boots with short trench coats.
- If you are wearing long trenches, wear it with flat shoes. It will definitely look chic, romantic and fresh.
- You can also wear small heels with long coats.
QUESTIONS OF THE DAY:
Do you own a trench coat? What colour and length is it? How do you wear it?