Let’s face it, we all have a lot of stuff – casual clothes, designer clothes, shoes, high heels, accessories, and jewellery etc. These days we are so influenced by fashion trends, that we like to purchase something new for every important occasion. And to be completely honest, it’s not too expensive to do so with a vast of affordable brands on the market. As a result, our wardrobes get overloaded and, most likely, messy.
I believe it’s important to organise your wardrobe properly once and doesn’t think about it for a while instead of doing small cleans over and over again. Organising it on a daily basis requires a lot of time and energy. So to save them, dedicate a day and do a decent job. The result – clear wardrobe and happier you!
Why does one need to organise a wardrobe?
Remember those times when you were rushing to get ready for a night out but weren’t able to find that one particular designer dress in your closet? We can all imagine a state of panic and frustration overload one might have in such moments. Sadly, that happens to us all the time if we don’t organise our wardrobes properly. But! there is a solution – declutter your wardrobe and arrange it in an easy way. Let’s talk about it in more details.
Steps to Organise Wardrobe
Below are some of my best tips to make it easy for you to manage the wardrobe.
Analyse and Manage Your Wardrobe
First, analyse the wardrobe to understand how much space you have. Obviously, if it is large enough you can fit quite a bit of stuff. On the other hand, if it’s on a smaller side, you’ll have to manage it cleverly. Think of hidden spaces, the bottom and sides of the wardrobe. Can you use them effectively? Why not try to add a couple of hooks to the inner side of the closet? You’ll be able to hang scarves and hats or even handbags.
READ RELATED: HOARD NO MORE: ART OF THROWING THINGS AWAY.
Clean Inside Well
Next step is to remove all the things and give it a good clean. Wipe walls and shelves, dust or sweep the bottom. You’ll be surprised how much dirt gets inside. If you want to add or take out some shelves or put extra boxes for socks, underwear or tights do it now.
READ RELATED: WHY DO WE KEEP CLOTHES THAT WE NEVER WEAR.
Sort Your Clothes and Accessories First
Before putting all of it back inside, make separate piles of things you wear: on daily basis, frequently, for special occasions, and seasonal wear. It helps to arrange them on the floor or bed so that you can see what and how much you’ve got.
READ RELATED: HOW TO BEST CHOOSE ACCESSORIES FOR CLOTHES.
Revise the Garments
Some of our clothes take up a lot of space in the wardrobe. Look closely at them. Maybe you don’t need them anymore?
- Some clothes might be out of fashion and you won’t wear them again. Put in the bin or give to charity.
- Some clothes might be small or large on you. Give to friends and family members.
- Some clothes might need a clean or fixing. Take them to dry cleaning or tailor accordingly.
- Some clothes might be not relevant anymore (maternity clothes, specific sports wear, etc.). Sell them on eBay or donate.
- Take out seasonal clothes and shoes.
- Do the same thing with your accessories.
Read related: Why People Buy More Clothes That They Need.
Arranging Clothes in Wardrobe
After sorting the clothes into different categories it might be easier to store them in a good way. Now look the space and start placing them in the right place.
- Fold you tops and arrange them in a neat pile.
- Keep your day-to-day clothes in front.
- Put the rest deeper into the wardrobe or into a storage.
- Some like to arrange their clothes according to the colours. Do so if that help you creating outfits faster.
- You might want to hang your occasional wear, business suits and expensive items so that they are crease-free and ready to be used at any time.
- You may store out-of-season clothes, blankets and sweaters in boxes under the bed. Suitcases is another option. Alternatively, consider renting a storage space. Sometimes you can get a good deal on them.
Tips to Managing Accessories
Shoes and Sandals
To organise shoes a traditional hanging shoe shelf is ideal or you can use large canvas boxes, tiered shelves, cubbies. Small cheap bookshelves are also great for shoes.
Jewellery and Accessories
Use attractive serving trays to arrange your rings, earrings, brooches, etc, to store them on shelves. You can use dividers and transparent boxes to keep small pieces from tangling. And it’s easier to see them.
Place purses on shelves or put hooks inside the closet to hang purses and bags. Another option is to install hooks on the back of doors, but be careful to not overload them.
Hanging Scarves, Belts
Hang your scarves and ties on hangers or roll them and arrange on shelves. Create a row of hooks to hang the belts for easy access.
- You can paint, add mirrors or appliqués for some fun in your wardrobe.
- Try to hang jewellery and scarves where you can see them that way you’ll wear them more.
- Focus on hanging more clothes and use slim hangers for that to hang more. It’ll make everything much easier to find.
Remember, don’t stress about it. This exercise will make your life easier and your space less cluttered. So go ahead and start today or as soon as you can.
And remember you can always contact me and use my professional styling and de-cluttering services if you don’t feel like doing it on your own or need so me more support and guidance. I am here to help. And I do bring smiles to my clients’ faces once we finished the work on their wardrobe.
QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Do you have a messy or an organised wardrobe?
Read related: Mistakes to Avoid When You Declutter Your Wardrobe.